23 January - 26 February 2019
Tage Erlander visiting professorship
The Swedish Research Council’s grant for visiting professors aims to give higher education institutions the opportunity to develop a subject area by recruiting an internationally prominent professor during a limited period.
Research environment and collaboration support
Natural and Engineering Sciences
Researchers who may be nominated for the 2019 visiting professorship shall be active within one or several of the following areas: Subatomic physics, space physics and astronomy, atomic and molecular physics, optics and and condensed matter physics, electronics, electrical engineering, semiconductor physics and photonics, applied physics, materials science.
Organisation. A representative of the host organisation shall be invited to be the project
leader for the application.
Maximum 1 900 000 SEK for the professorship and maximum 500 000 SEK for funding of a junior researcher linked to the professorship
Publication of grant award
No later than end of September 2019
Start of grant period
No earlier than January 2020
- Please read and follow the instructions: In addition to this specific call text, you also need to read our Guide for applicants Opens in new window..
- Please do not state anybody’s full personal identity number in the application.
Pdf / Printout
Call text in full
The following requirements must be fulfilled in order for the organisation to be duly qualified to apply for the grant. We carry out checks to ensure unqualified applications are rejected from further processing.
Focus and nominated candidate
Holders of the Tage Erlander professorship are appointed from among nominated internationally very prominent researchers. The research areas from which researchers may be nominated alternates according to a rolling schedule. The researcher who may be nominated for the 2019 visiting professorship shall be active within one or several of the following areas:
- subatomic physics, space physics and astronomy
- atomic and molecular physics
- optics and condensed matter physics
- electrical engineering
- semiconductor physics and photonics
- applied physics
- materials science.
The researcher proposed for the visiting professorship shall be the holder of a professorship or corresponding at the time of application, and must not already be active in Sweden. The researcher must also be aware of the nomination and what acceptance of the professorship entails. If the nominated candidate declines to accept the professorship, the HEI cannot propose a replacement.
The visiting professor awarded the professorship shall be employed by the administrating organisation throughout the visit.
For upcoming calls over the next few years, the following areas will apply:
- 2020 (starting 2021): Geology and geophysics, ground, air and water processes, organism biology, ecology, systematics and evolution
- 2021 (starting 2022): Mathematical sciences, computer sciences, signals and systems, technical mechanics, medical technology
- 2022 (starting 2023): Analytical, physical and theoretical chemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry, biochemistry and structural biology, cell and molecular biology, bioprocess engineering, chemical engineering and environmental engineering.
The applicant for the grant must be a Swedish higher education institution (HEI) that has been approved as an administrating organisation Opens in new window. for grants from the Swedish Research Council. The application with a nominated candidate for the visiting professorship shall include a named researcher (project leader), who represents the department wishing to act as host for the visiting professorship. The project leader shall be employed by the administrating organisation at the start of and throughout the grant period and any additional availability period, unless the Swedish Research Council approves an exception.
When the application is registered and signed in Prisma (see below), the HEI and the nominated department undertake to be responsible for the local hosting and all practical arrangements associated with the visiting professor’s visit to Sweden, if the visiting professorship is awarded.
Number of applications and previous grants
There is no limit to the number of applications a single HEI may submit. However, any individual candidate may only be nominated in one application.
No participating researchers can be included in this application.
Costs and grant amounts
A grant amount of up to 1 900 000 SEK including indirect costs may be applied for, to finance salary costs including social security contributions and insurance, rent of housing and travel. The amount of the grant is affected by factors such as accompanying family members and local housing costs. The Swedish Research Council assumes that the administrating organisation, as the employer responsible, will cover any costs in excess of the standard amount received.
In addition, a grant of up to 500 000 SEK including indirect costs may be applied for (via the Swedish Research Council) from the Tage Erlander Foundation to fund a junior researcher (doctoral student or postdoc), to be associated with the visiting professorship.
Grants may not be used for scholarships.
The visit to Sweden shall last no less than six months, and no longer than one year. The visit may be divided up into more than one period.
The professorship shall start during 2020. The entire grant amount will be paid during 2020, irrespective of when during the year the start occurs. The first payment will be made in January 2020 at the earliest.
Please refer to the application form in Prisma in parallel with reading the instructions below, which describe the call-specific contents of the application. More information on what to do in practical terms is available in our Guide for applicants Opens in new window..
Foreign experts are involved in the scientific evaluation of the applications. To ensure fair and equitable assessment and efficient processing, please therefore complete the application in English.
Sections of the application
The application form includes the following tabs:
- Descriptive information
- Research description
- Nominated visiting professor
- Budget and research resources
- Administrating organisation
- Participants (only administrators in this call)
Descriptions of the call-specific information requested under each tab follow below.
Under this tab, please state the name of the nominated researcher, their current HEI and country as project title (such as “Anna Smith, University of xx, USA”), project period (the length of the visiting professorship in number of months).
The abstract shall include a brief description of the following:
- name, university and country of the nominated researcher
- time (dates) for the visit
- brief justification for the visit
- planned programme.
The description may cover a maximum of 1 500 characters including blank spaces (approximately one third of an A4 page in Arial, font size 11, single line spacing).
Describe the ethical issues raised by the research. Also describe the plan on how to address ethical dilemmas that may arise. Please justify why the research should be carried out against the background of the ethical issues identified. How do the questions and expected results measure up in relation to the ethical issues? Please also state whether the research involves any handling of personal data, or experiments on animals or human subjects. If no ethical issues are raised, please justify this.
The research programme shall consist of brief but complete information relating to the nomination, and shall cover a maximum of eight page-numbered A4 pages in Arial, font size 11, single line spacing, including references and any images.
The research programme shall include the following headings and information, listed in the following order:
- The researcher and their research: Present the nominated researcher and
- Justification: Justify the visiting researcher’s visit.
- Contribution to research: Describe how the visiting researcher may contribute to the development of both the activities of the host department and Swedish research in general within the area in question.
- Plan for department participation: Specify the planning of the visiting researcher’s
participation at the host department and other departments in Sweden.
- Junior researcher: State the name and workplace of a junior researcher (doctoral student or postdoc), if such is to be associated with the visiting professorship.
Nominated visiting professor
Please state the following:
- name, title, current position and workplace for the nominated person
- the competency the visiting professor is expected to bring to the host department
- information about the duration and any division of the visit
- names of the department head(s) and the department(s) at which the professorship will be located.
The nominated person’s CV and publication list
Please attach a brief CV with full address details (including email address) and current position of the nominated researcher. Please also attach a publication list, divided up into Peer-reviewed articles, Other articles and Books.
Please also note that no CV data or publications shall be entered elsewhere in the application.
Budget and research resources
Please state the salary applied for the visiting professor (select the role “project leader” in the table) and the junior researcher (if such a position is to be associated with the professorship), both as a percentage of a full-time salary and as actual annual amounts (including social security contributions and insurance). Please state rounded amounts in SEK.
Describe the costs of rent of housing or travel. Please state rounded amounts in SEK.
Total cost of the visiting professorship
Prisma will automatically add up the budget items listed in a table. The total amount applied for shall also include indirect costs. These shall be added to the table by the applicant according to the calculations that apply for the HEI. The applicant shall also add here any further costs covered by the visiting professorship (for which funding is not sought in this application).
Justification of the budget applied for
Justify briefly each cost applied for in the budget stated. The description may cover a maximum of 4 000 characters including blank spaces (approximately one A4 page in Arial, font size 11, single line spacing).
Please state the site of the visiting professorship.
Here the person invited to be the project leader for the application may invite participating administrators, who can help to input and edit information in the application. Please note that participating researchers may not be invited in this application.
Scientific quality is the fundamental criterion when the Swedish Research Council allocates grants to research. Your application is evaluated in competition with the other applications on the basis of the following evaluation criteria. The Swedish Research Council´s grant for visiting professors aims at giving universities the opportunity to develop a scientific field by recruiting an internationally senior professor for a shorter period.
The assessment of the applications considers the proposed visiting professors scientific merits and position internationally together with the relevance for the call, especially regarding how well the visiting professor can contribute to the development of the research at the host institution and to Swedish research in general in the scientific field.
Your application will be evaluated by appointed external reviewers with competence in the specific topic of the call within natural and engineering sciences. At least two external reviewers will review and grade your application individually. An appointed review panel within the topic of the call will then meet to discuss and prioritize the applications taking into consideration the statements from the external reviewers, and finally make a proposal for decision to the Scientific Council for Natural and Engineering Sciences.
Evaluation criteria and guiding questions
The evaluation of the scientific quality and position internationally of the visiting professor is assessed on a seven-grade scale.
For each criterion, there are guiding questions to support the evaluation of your application. These can also function as guidance for you when you write your application.
Scientific merit and position internationally of the visiting professor (1-7)
- How significant are the scientific merits of the guest professor in relation to the suggested research area?
- How scientifically eminent is the guest professor internationally?
Relevance to the call: Motivation of the stay, in particular how the nominated guest professor can contribute to the development of the host institution and more generally of research in Sweden within the scientific area (1-7)
- What competence is the guest professor expected to bring to the host institution? How probable is it that the guest professor will contribute to the development of the research at the host institution?
- How well is the research plan formulated regarding the quality and scope of the guest professor’s contribution to the host institution, as well as other institutions in Sweden? How well are the suggested activities motivated?
- How will the guest professor contribute to the development of the scientific area in general in Sweden?
- What is the quality of the suggested research program and how relevant is it to the scientific area?
- Will a young scientist be associated to the guest professorship? If so, how will the young scientist contribute to the research program?