14 researchers in Sweden to receive an ERC Starting Grant
The European Research Council (ERC) Starting Grant 2021 has awarded 397 researchers in Europe up to 1,5 million euro, to develop their research project and to building their own research teams. 14 of them have a Swedish host institution.
The ERC starting grant is awarded to promising early-career researchers and has scientific excellence as the only selection criteria. The ERC starting grant recipients and their research proposal undergo a stringent and competitive peer-review process. This year more than 4000 researchers applied for an ERC starting grant.
In total, 397 researchers in Europe will share more than 619 million euro, with a success rate of about 10 per cent.
Among the 14 researchers in Sweden receiving ERC Starting Grants, six are active in social sciences and humanities, five in physical and engineering sciences and three in life sciences.
Approved research projects 2021
University of Gothenburg
- Ann-Kristin Koelln: INTRAPARTY The Benefits of Conflict: How Factions Can Enhance Political Parties' Electoral Performance
- Tintin Wulia: THINGSTIGATE Things for Politics' Sake: Aesthetic Objects and Social Change
- Marcus Buggert: TRACE Tracing virus-specific CD8+ T cell clonotype zonation and function in humans
KTH, Royal Institute of Technology
- Michael Liverts: DYNPRESS Towards materials at extremes: from intense dynamic compression to expansion
- Eleni Stavrinidou: 4D-PhytoHybrid Plant based 4D biohybrid systems
- Carmelo D'Agostino: SUperSAFE SUrrogate measures for SAFE autonomous and connected mobility
- Lea Fuenfschilling: ENDINGS Towards a theory of endings in innovation studies
- Jon Gudmundsson: CMBeam Transforming cryogenic optics for cosmic microwave background experiments
- Ragnhild Lunnan: TransPIre Transients Illuminating the Fates of the Most Massive Stars
- Peter Sörgaard Jörgensen: INFLUX Emerging pests and pathogens as a novel lens for unravelling social-ecological cascades
- Birgit Wild: PRIMETIME Rhizosphere priming: Quantifying plant impacts on carbon dioxide emissions from a warming Arctic
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- Derek Lundberg: SPHINOCULANT Revealing the secrets to success of Sphingomonas, a versatile bacterial genus with exceptional potential as a beneficial agricultural inoculant
- Petra Marhava: HOT-AND-COLD How plants deal with heat and cold: Molecular mechanisms of auxin transport and signaling in response to temperature stress
- Ylva Söderfeldt: ActDisease Acting Out Disease. How Patient Organizations Shaped Modern Medicine
Next deadline for ERC Starting Grant is January 13, 2022. Read more and apply here. External link.
Swedish Research Council and ERC
The Swedish Research Council works to encourage more Swedish researchers to apply for and be awarded ERC grants. Some of our work consists of arranging interview training for researchers who have been selected for stage 2 of the application process. We also plan to organise webinars with information about upcoming ERC calls. Dates for these events will be published on this website.
If you have questions, please contact Anethe Mansén, the national contact point (NCP) for ERC: firstname.lastname@example.org
Impact of ERC funded frontier research again confirmed
In an evaluation, a randomly selected sample of 225 finalised projects was analysed by a peer review panel consisting of independent, high-level scientists. Some 81 per cent of projects funded by the European Research Council resulted in a scientific breakthrough or major advance, according to an annual independent review. This result is in line with previous evaluations and shows the significant impact of frontier research funded by the ERC.
MORE WITHIN THE SAME SUBJECT AREA
Published 24 January 2023
It has now been decided who will recieve an ERC Proof of Concept Grant in the last call 2022. Six of the researches awarded the grant is affiliated to a Swedish university.
Published 20 December 2022
Welcome to an information webinar about the call for ERC Advanced Grant (ERC-2023-AdG). Invited researchers will present their experiences from writing an application and we will also learn about the evaluation process. The expert and AdG co-call coo...
Published 25 November 2022
The Swedish Research Council is organising webinars for researchers who have applied for an ERC Advanced grant (AdG) and have progressed to step 2 of the evaluation process. Administrative staff at Swedish universities who work with research support ...