The EU organises European research and innovation collaborations in the form of framework programmes. The current framework programme, Horizon 2020, is in force for the period 2014–2020. The Swedish Research Council works with research issues related to the framework programme in many different ways, and supports the Swedish engagement in Horizon 2020.
The Swedish Research Council’s recommendations
The Swedish Research Council has put together recommendations to the European Commission for the ongoing and upcoming framework programme for research and innovation.
The main points of our recommendations
- Keep the three main focuses of Horizon 2020 – excellent research, industrial leadership and societal challenges – but optimise for increased collaboration and synergies for better impact.
- Integrate basic research in all parts of the framework programme.
- Give the ERC a continued strong role and budget.
- Continue to promote mobility across borders, disciplines and sectors, through the Marie Sklodowska-Curie measures.
- Increase the inputs to solve common societal challenges in line with the Lund Declaration.
- Give continued support with suitable instruments to the Joint Programming Initiatives, as they have an important role to play in tackling societal challenges.
- Increase investments in the construction, implementation and operation of research infrastructures.
- Keep research grants as the primary funding format (not loans).
- Safeguard unity within the EU by designing the framework programmes to enable less research-intensive countries and regions to take part, without jeopardising the excellence criterion.
Read our recommendations (pdf, 240.1 kB)
On 7 June, the European Commission presented its proposal for a framework programme for research and innovation for the period 2021–2027, Horizon Europe. In July, negotiations relating to the proposal will start, where the Government Offices will represent Sweden.
Read the Swedish Research Council´s views on the proposal
PublISHED ON 18 May 2018
UpDATED ON 02 September 2019