The event is over
Artistic Research Ethics – research between vulnerability and empowerment
The tightening of the ethical review legislation that has taken place in recent years has evoked concerns and great uncertainty among researchers in many fields. Not least has this been the case in artistic research. What can be subject to research and how? Welcome to a seminar on artistic research and research ethics.
23 November 2023
KTH School of Architecture, Stockholm, Osquars backe 5, sal A123.
The seminar is also streamed and can therefore be followed digitally: https://youtube.com/live/H_-gv8w4lCA?feature=share External link.
Deadline of registration to participate on site is 15 November
Ethical review of research has been extensively debated over the past year. The Swedish ethical review authority and its way of implementing the legislation has been in focus, especially the strict requirement for ethical review of all research regardless of discipline. While the legislation was developed based on medical research on humans, in the Swedish research context it applies to all research "on humans, human tissue or sensitive personal data". Seen in an international perspective, this is unique.
The Swedish Research Council organized a symposium on artistic research ethics already in 2016, which culminated in a yearbook on the theme (2017). Much has happened since then, and there is a great need to draw attention both to ethical questions raised and initiatives being taken in artistic research and in neighboring fields.
09.30 Registration and coffee
- Katja Grillner, Head of Dept, KTH Arkitektur
- Maria Hellström Reimer, scientific adviser, Swedish Research Council
Session I – Artistic research ethics
10.15 Research Ethics or Ethical Research: Moral tension in artistic research – An interim report on observation study of the assessment process within artistic research
Tobias Olofsson, researcher, Dept of sociology, Lunds University
10.40 Language, ethics, and design research
Martin Avila, designer, researcher and professor of Design, Konstfack University of Arts, Crafts and Design, Stockholm
11.05 Ethics review and arts-based research – an administrative perspective
Fredrik Karlsson, Research Ethics Adviser, KTH/Royal College of Technology
11.30 Intertwinements – Ethics in Art and Research
- Ylva Hofvander–Trulsson, Professor in aesthetic didactics, Stockholm University of the Arts
- Kristina Hagström–Ståhl, visiting associate professor in Theatre and Performance Studies.
11.55 Panel discussion I
Moderator Cecilia Sjöholm
12.30 Lunch sandwich
Session II: Ethical challenges in practice
13.30 Awareness of “ethical mirroring” within artistic and scientific research projects
- Eva Bojner Horwitz, professor in music and health and associate professor in social medicin, Royal College of Music, Stockholm
13.45 When Aesthetics becomes Ethics in Academic and Creative Writing
- Hanna Hallgren, poet and senior lecturer, Linneaus University, Växjö
14.00 Listening with Elephant Ears: Appealing for Care in Ethics Review
- Hugo Boothby, doctoral candidate in media and communication studies, Malmö University, School of Arts and Communication
14.15 More-than-human ethics and extra- humanities in practice
- Cecilia Åsberg, Professor Gender, Nature and Culture, Linköping University
14.30 Panel discussion II: Ethical challenges and ethical approval in praxis
Moderator Carl Unander-Scharin
SESSION III: Good Research Practice – how do we best support it?
15.15 Panel discussion II
Moderator Maria Hellström Reimer
- Karolina Wallenborg Bjelic, senior research officer, Vetenskapsrådet
- Maria Göransdotter, associate professor, Umeå Institute of Design, Umeå University
- Jesper Lundgren, senior lecturer, Academy of Music and Drama, Göteborg
- Pernilla Hagbert, researcher, Dept. of Urban Planning and Environment, KTH/Royal College of Technology
MORE WITHIN THE SAME SUBJECT AREA
Published 23 March 2023
Welcome to an information meeting about 2023 year´s calls within Artistic Research: Grant for research communication and Exploratory workshops. The meeting will be held primarily in English.
Published 09 February 2023
Welcome to an information meeting about 2023 year´s calls within Artistic Research. The meeting will be held primarily in English.
Published 26 January 2023
The Swedish Research Council’s research review in artistic research describes the current situation for the research and makes a forecast of the development during the next 5–10 years. The review also includes scientific and research policy recommend...